|80' Steel Forest Fire Detection Tower to be Removed
- ADDRESS: 2600 16th Dr., Friendship, WI 53934
- DESCRIPTION: 80 foot tall steel forest fire detection tower (3-legged), including cab with steel roof. Base of tower is approx. 25 ft x 25 ft. on concrete footings. Cab is accessed via a foot ladder, surrounded by a cage. -- Click here for Asbestos Report -- 3-legged fire tower structurally deficient. 40’ – 60’ section: 2” diameter south tower leg is significantly bent. Based on observations obtained with the use of a transit, it is estimated that the leg is deflecting roughly 1” over a 5’ span. On the 40’ – 60’ section: 2” diameter north tower leg is slightly bent. Based on observations obtained with the use of a transit, it is estimated that the leg is deflecting less than ˝”. The uppermost 7’ tower section and observation cab are leaning to the east and are exceeding TIA/EIA tolerance utilizations for plumb and twist. Other than defects described, the steel is in very good condition. Roof was replaced in 2014.
- ACCESS: Two-track access with four-wheel drive needed. Two-track stops 600 feet short of tower. UTV/ATV path available to tower base. The access gate is to remain closed at all times. -- Click here for Topographical Map
- FINAL SITE CONDITION: Concrete footings for the tower will be removed 2 feet below ground level with resulting holes backfilled. The access road and tower site will be restored to pre-project conditions. Tear down structure and moving and transporting of materials will be done by the successful bidder within 90 days of the winning bid date. Trees and brush or other forest products, including firewood are NOT INCLUDED, unless approved in writing by the landowner. Some cutting of trees and brush, as agreed to with Department and property owner permission, to facilitate removal of the fire tower, may be allowed. All debris and solid waste caused or generated by the removal of the structure shall be disposed of in a manner that is satisfactory to the Department and landowner.
- REMOVAL DEADLINE: December 18, 2019 -- Work beyond this timeframe may be approved in writing only if agreed to by both the Department and the landowner.
- REQUIREMENTS: Independent contractor readily equipped with tools and equipment, including personal protective equipment, to safely remove steel structure fire tower and restore site. Contractor must meet terms and conditions as specified in awarded bid agreement. Liability Insurance: The winning bidder shall procure and shall maintain during the life of this contract the following insurance: Contractor’s Public Liability Insurance in the amount of not less than $250,000 for injuries, including accidental death, to any one person, and subject to the same limit for each person, in an amount not less than $500,000 on account of one accident; Contractor’s Property Damage Insurance in the amount of not less than $100,000 or a combined single limit of at least $500,000. Comprehensive Automobile Liability Insurance for limits of not less than: bodily injury $250,000/$500,000; property damage $100,000 or a combined single limit of at least $500,000. The insurance provided under this article shall provide the indicated coverage for the Contractor and his/her subcontractors. This policy shall also include additional named insured parties, specifically the State of Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources and its employees. The winning bidder shall furnish the DNR with a certificate of insurance listing the additional insureds prior to commencing work. Additional Fees/Types: $1000.00 performance bond or cash deposit in the form of a guaranteed payment (Cash, Guaranteed Check or Wire Transfer), to be remitted to Wisconsin Surplus. The bond shall be released upon satisfactory inspection of the site by the Department after removal of the tower. -- Click here for Bid Conditions -- Click here for Insurance Requirements
- TERMS: The access road and tower site will be restored to pre-project conditions. Any road improvements are the responsibility of the contractor including but not limited to grading, filling, and brushing. Road conditions may limit the timeframe of access by equipment into the tower site. If conditions deteriorate to an unacceptable amount as determined by the Department and the landowner, the work will cease until such time road conditions improve.
- CONDITION: AS IS – TO BE REMOVED
- CONTACT: Brady Backes at 715 459-3790 or Brady.Backes@Wisconsin.gov - Call/Email with questions and to schedule inspections -- Appointment Required, No Walk-ins.
- Click on Photo or Item # for full Details